Now I had made the cardboard box. I can move on and start to make it out of wood. I started this on the 26.10.2020.
I took the cardboard box I had made down to the wood work shop. This would be used as a physical plan that I could use. I took the paper plan to use if I needed it, i never did use it as having the box there helped a lot.
At first I had 4 hours within the workshop. this is from 10-1pm. so I wanted to do as much as I could within this time. so as soon as I was in there i talked to one technician to see what they thought I should do then I started straight on to the walls of the box.
Making The Walls…..
I started by measuring out the sizes that I want each wall to be and this was 28cm x 28cm. this was to cut out the whole square without the windows in it yet. I used a band saw to cut these out but I set a block to measure each square to cut at 28cm. As this would make it a lot easier and quicker to cut each square to the exactly right measurement
To make this quicker I taped all the squares together as they are all the same size, so I would be able to drill a hole into one of the corners and then use a (I could be wrong) type of band saw that can nearly do 90 degree turns. I used the to be able to cut against the lines and then get close-ish to the corners and at the end just go in from either side to get the full 90 degree. this meant I could do ass the squares at once.
These where the squares when they were finished, I am happy with out they turned out even thou they are not perfect. I really do like the fact that its not perfect as it does give more of the olden look die to not being a good shape and a bit worn.
Making The Base…..
This was the final drawing of how big and the shape I wanted the base to be. Drawing the base was so much harder than I thought it would be. I didn’t know what angles the lines should be due to my cardboard piece being a weird shape. All I knew is that the lines had to be 27.4 cm, due to the wood being 0.6mm thick. So for the base to fit within the walls it needed to be a bit smaller.
so I started by marking out the bottom line to the side of the wood (so I wouldn’t waste any wood). I marked out half way on the 27.4cm line so I knew where the opposite side of the box should land. I used the walls of the box to put them together with tape so I could place this on to the wood for the base. then I keep moving and placing the walls to how I wanted the shape to be and when I had done that I then drew with a pencil on the inside to have the shape.
When I was happy with the shape I went to the band saw to cut out the shape but I left about 0.5-1cm gap so I could sand it down to make sure that it would fit the box.( photo was before I sanded it down).
Gluing The Walls To The Base…..
These are the photos of me starting to glue on the piece of wall this was kind of easy as it was only gluing them on but it was also hard trying to keep them tightly on. I started by gluing them on at the bottom but then decided to also add a line of glue both above the bottom joint and between each wall to put them together as well.
Second Time In The Workshop…..
This was the ending of 4 hours I had. so I decided to go for lunch. I then talk to some people and no one wanted to use the woodwork room but two other students so I decided to go back in for another 2-3 hours.
For this time I wanted to try and do the roof. little did I know this would be even harder than I thought. it took me cutting out 18 triangle just to get 5 that would fit well.
so I used one piece of wood, as my thought were that if I did one triangle that would fit, all the other would as well if they where the same. this didn’t work as the box isn’t a perfect shape. so I used a piece of card board to cut two triangle that would fit. these ended up being 28cm x 30cm x 35 cm (I think). this took me a lot of attempts and trial and error (in the end took be about 1-2 hours) then when I had worked it out I ended up with two triangle the same, another two triangles the same and the last one was completely different.
This does now mean I had no time to complete the roof into wood so right now it is just cardboard.
This is how my wooden box looks when I had to leave the wood workshop. It was glued together but I left the tap on to make sure it fixed into place.
From this I decided to leave the roof as cardboard, this ended up being a really good idea as it gave it a good effect when painting.
Painting The Box(27.10.2020)…..
This was a very dark brown that i used to paint the entire inside of the box (the floor and the walls). i wanted the inside to be darker than the outside but also carry the oldest look still.
So then I decided to add a lighter colour onto the outside. I wanted to have an old brown wood, so I also added in other browns and a little green while the paint was wet so it looked damaged and old.
This is what all the sides looked like after I had added more detailing into the wood and I decided to add flowers and leaves to add more or a look that its been left for a long time. Then I moved onto the roof.
This was the roof when I sorted out where each bit goes and added a lot of tape to secure the movement of the roof. I knew if I add watered down brown acrylic onto the roof I could get a really nice texture for the roof so that’s what I did.
This was the effect of the roof after the first layer. I didn’t want to take away from the texture but I did want to add more detailing of the colour and look of it. So I lightly added more paint in different shades and a little bit of green.
This is the final look of the box with the painting and wood work. I am really have with how this has turned out. Another thing I want to add if some nature and possibly bones into the box to have a bigger meaning to the piece and a better look. I am not going to do this until I know what the plan if with the box.