From the mushroom idea I have (I’m still experimenting with this) developed my idea and i want to experiment within crashing the plaster to show damaged with plants to symbolize grown within mental health. I also want to add some that have dead plants in to show a healthy mental health and a bad one. This was inspiered partly by Emil Alzamora.
my plans within this idea….
I feel like the plaster would work better as it would crack more, but I don’t really want it to completely crack so I want to experiment and see if it does and how long it will last.
For this i would also let the plants grow out of the eye sockets as well so maybe the head could actual be a skull.
next post will be making the mold/clay for the head. For both ideas.
I wanted to look into head space within drug use and metal health, as they can be linked, so I was thinking of using mushrooms to show the growth of a mental health but also people link mushrooms to drugs (e.g. magic mushrooms).
She is an artist that has made me think of a way to develop my idea and make it a lot more interesting and something I would love to experiment with.
These are some works of her that I found interesting but the one that really caught my eyes was one where she has a human head and had a plant out the top of it..
This image is what gave me the idea of how I could improve and develop my work in to something more interesting and experimental than just a simple sculptor. I still have more ideas than this one but I want to experiment with it to see how well it would work.
When first looking into heads I was thinking of going through a drug like subject but after seeing this it made me think of a better was to show my work, and have the plants roots crack the work. I have a plan for this but ill put it on another post.
so from this next I will be making a plant of how I could now do the ideas of my next experiment. I will also be adding designs and possible images of it.
I was set a task where I had to make a box out of carboard. The only conditions where that the box could not just have 4 sides, like a normal cardboard box and one of the sides had to be open.
At first I didn’t know what to do so I just messed around making different shapes with the cardboard then I decided to make a kind of bird cage shape. I wanted to this include a roof with a 5 sides shape and this to lead to the sides having 5 sides and the bottom only 1.
I made some of the plan on the 12.10.2020 when I was first given the task. Then I made the box on the 19.10.2020 and wrote on the plan the changes I want to make and how I could do this in woodwork.
I completely forgot to take photos while making the box as it was not as simple as I thought it would be. I really like the box now and I love the fact i have painted it as a old box as it feel it gives it a better aesthetic.
I started by making the 5 triangles the roof. This was a stupid idea as none of them are the same size. This means the box has a odd shape but I feel this give it an older look and more character. But this does mean it would be harder to get measurements to make the box into wood.
As I feel like the roof as just the triangles looked off and kind of naked. I decided to add the dropped edges, so that it had more of a flow instead of having a sharp cut off.
So as it is a “modified” bird box I decided to have the windows in the side. The idea behind this is that I would add a meshing into the windows, this is to have the feeling of being trapped but you can see in and out but its just harder to.
these walls are just two strips of cardboard that are stood up in each corner. this was one of the hardest parts to create, as I didn’t make it as just a square with a hole in it. Now I have finished it, I know to make the walls as one and just cut the holes into the sides.
To add strength i added in the last bar at the bottom. this is to keep the strips of cardboard at the corners in place and straight. for this whole box i used masking tape to keep everything together.
This was the easiest bit as all I did was side the structure onto the cardboard and then draw around the inside and cut it out. Then I use masking tape in order to tape it on to the bottom.
Now I have made this box, I am going to make it into wood. The only thing that is going to change is I will make the walls as a whole square and then cut the holes in. The shape will probably change as I can move and bend cardboard a lot more than woods. so the roof works within cardboard so i will have to use trial and error within the wood workshop to be able to get the roof right.