studio practice – plans
After I stuck the string legs to the wall, it gave me the idea of having them stuck to something you can not see. I thought of putting them on Perspex so that you can see the pieces of art from both sides, this gave me the idea of what if the leg was going thought the Perspex to use the transparency to the fullest. i have made a plan for what i want to try and do, but i have no idea if it will work well or be a mess but i am going to try it anyway.
When making these plans i had only planned for the cutting of the cast at this point even thought there is the flowers in this photo. i originally planned for the foot to go through the Perspex. when doing this plan the casting the process of applying the string and drying it worked really well.
i used my own leg and then wrapped it in cling film, then i added string to a tub of super-glue and wrapped it around my leg. i added more glue as a final layer before letting it dry. after blow drying the cast, i cut it off while it was still slightly moveable still. i cut it while it was still a little wet so i wont be able to manipulate it off my foot instead of having to cut the whole cast to get it off. i planned how i cut it off so the cut line would be how i want to glue it on the perspex, this worked really well and gave the ending a really good result.
this was the result, i am really happy with how it turned out. it gives a really good effect of going through the Perspex. i hot glue gunned the cast to the sheet as carefully as i could as i didn’t want to be able to see glue everywhere, this held the cast on really well and its really sturdy. Once i had took a step back i thought there was something missing, so i started to add flowers just to see how it would look. After adding a few i really liked it and felt it would convey my idea in a more interesting way than just having string as it gave the effect the flowers where growing through the string. below is the result of the piece.
Another thing i was playing around with while making this piece is how i could possibly present the piece. this meant trying out on how well i could drill into the Perspex so be able to hang the piece with fishing wire so that its not so easily seen. the only problem with the piece is that the Perspex has to be cleaned to get finger makes off and then kept being cleaned due to the static and dust collecting on it. i want to develop on this idea and i have made plans that i will post on the next blog.